The Orange Beach Fire Department was on the scene quickly Friday evening after a golf cart caught fire.

The electric golf cart was parked near South Wilson Boulevard when the fire started. After the fire department got the call, Engine 2 arrived in two minutes. The flames were put out within 30 seconds.

There is no word on the cause of the fire. However, there have been multiple reports of electric golf carts bursting into flames nationwide.

One family in Jacksonville, Fla. lost their home when a battery exploded. Officials nationwide have warned lithium batteries can cause fires when they get heated due to overcharging. They urge people to avoid charging the batteries indoors.

Safety experts also say to never charge a lithium battery with a charger it didn't come with.

To connect with the author of this story or to comment, email

Don’t miss out! Subscribe to our newsletter and get our top stories every weekday morning or become a member to gain access to exclusive content and 1819 News merch.