A Mobile County grand jury came back with a no bill in the investigation into the death of Jawan Dallas, a man who died after being arrested by Mobile Police.

The family of Dallas has been appearing in council meetings since the July 2 incident, asking police to release body camera footage.

Attorneys have also threatened a lawsuit.

Dallas, 36, was detained after a 911 caller reported someone trying to break into his trailer home. During a struggle, he was hit by a Taser stun gun, and he later died at the hospital.

Police Chief Paul Prine previously said Dallas matched the description of the person accused by the 911 caller.

The caller told dispatch the suspect left and went to another lot. When police arrived on that lot, they saw two men sitting in a car. One of them complied, but Dallas did not, and he tried to run from officers, Prine said. He said during the struggle, officers said they used a Taser on Dallas, but it was ineffective, and Dallas tried to take it from the officer and attempted to bite one of them.

At that point, Prine said the officer had every right to use deadly force under policy and state law but did not. The officer continued to struggle with Dallas until he was subdued.

After being detained, Dallas told police he was having difficulty breathing due to asthma, Prine explained. EMS was called out to render aid. Dallas was taken to the hospital, where he died.

The two police officers involved in the arrest were cleared of criminal wrongdoing by the grand jury. Mobile County District Attorney Keith Blackwood said Dallas suffered from underlying medical conditions that were exacerbated by drug use. Blackwood added that multiple drugs were detected in Dallas’ system at the time of his death.

Blackwood said the family will now be allowed to view body-worn camera footage.

For months, the family has accused police of using excessive force and causing the death of their loved one. Multiple news reports stated that Dallas died from being hit with a Taser by police, but Blackwood confirmed Thursday that the Taser had no part in causing the death of Dallas.

Mobile County NAACP president Robert Clopton, Sr. even claimed Dallas was treated so harshly because of the color of his skin.

Prine said Dallas, a convicted felon, was in possession of methamphetamine and spice at the time of the incident. At the time of his death, he had two warrants for probation revocation, which is why investigators say he likely tried to run from officers.

To connect with the author of this story or to comment, email erica.thomas@1819news.com.

Don’t miss out! Subscribe to our newsletter and get our top stories every weekday morning.