The man arrested and found guilty for repeatedly placing objects on his late fiancée’s grave has been arrested and charged with driving under the influence (DUI).

On Tuesday, Winston Chester (Winchester) Hagans was reportedly arrested by Lee Co. Sheriff’s deputies and charged with DUI. The arrested happened at 10:30 a.m. and Hagans' blood alcohol level was reported at .14, according to a police report.

1819 News reached out to a member of the Hagans family, who said they would not talk about the DUI.

See also: Auburn court rules in favor of Montgomery pastor after late daughter’s fiancée placed unwanted item on grave.

Hagans had previously been cited in December of 2021 for having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle. The case concluded after Hagans paid all necessary fees.

Hagans came into the spotlight after being arrested for repeatedly placing large planter boxes on the grave of his late fiancée on the plot owned by her father, Tom Ford.

On Jan. 17, 2021, Ford’s daughter, Hannah, was killed in a car accident, approximately one month after becoming engaged to Hagans. According to Ford, Hagans regularly visited the grave site, leaving various large planter boxes that contained flowers and were often festooned with romantic pictures of him and his fiancée.

After Ford removed the boxes multiple times, and after Hagans had been informed that Ford did not want the boxes on the grave, Hagans persisted in putting new boxes on the grave.

Ford swore out a warrant, and Hagans was subsequently arrested.

On June 9, an Auburn municipal court ruled that Hagans was guilty of criminal littering and gave him the minimum fine of $50 plus $251 in court costs.

According to Ford, despite repeatedly removing the objects placed by Hagans and attempting to notify him via proxy, new boxes were constantly being put up at the gravesite every time his family visited.

Hagans previously told the Washington Post that he put the flower box on the grave because there was no headstone. However, Ford provided photos of the different boxes, which showed them placed directly below the headstone, which was present in every image.  

A game camera was also placed towards the gravesite, and Ford claimed it was placed there by Hagans. He also claims that Hagans collected the camera after the city removed it from the cemetery.

The prosecution further pointed to at least nine different instances where Hagans had placed boxes at the site after they were removed.

Hagans pleaded not guilty to the charge of criminal littering. However, the defense never outright claimed that he was not the one placing the boxes since the prosecution produced a screenshot of Hagans’ social media in which he admitted to replacing the boxes after they had been removed.

Following his arrest, Hagans told media outlets that he asked the city about putting up the boxes and was told it was technically against the rules but only enforced if the family wanted them removed.

The prosecution called Sari Card, an Administrative Assistant with Parks and Recreation in Auburn, who contradicted Hagan’s claim.

According to Card, she had more than one conversation with Hagans in which she informed him Ford did not wish to have the boxes on the gravesite.

“I informed him that Mr. Ford did not want him to continue to put the boxes out there, that I thought that he was going to take legal action because that’s what he had discussed with me, and that if [Hagans] continued, he might have him arrested,” Card said.

According to Card, Hagans replied that “he didn’t care” and that he would continue to place boxes at the site every time they were removed.

Auburn attorney Jeff Tickal represented Hagans. However, the defense only questioned Ford and called no witnesses for the defense, although Hagans stood by Tickal’s side for the entire trial.

To connect with the author of this story, or to comment, email

Don’t miss out! Subscribe to our newsletter and get our top stories every weekday morning.